Monday, September 1, 2008

Holiday Weekend Weddings

We're getting married on a holiday weekend. More significantly, it will also be the fourth anniversary of our first date, which makes me feel a whole lot better about the holiday that is being celebrated. I never had a soft spot for Columbus. I do, however, have a soft spot for fall foliage and that crisp feel to the air in October.

The thinking/decision making behind picking our date went something like this:

everyone: When are you getting married?
me (dreamily): I like fall...
everyone: So, October or November?
me (cornered): I like October
everyone: This year?
me (calculating cost in head): oh hell no, prob next year

It is strange to look back on that first month of decision making, as I'm not sure I would have made the same decisions. Lately I'm antsy and just want to have the wedding next month, not next year.

When we both started thinking about weekends, and FH very much liked Columbus Day weekend, because people would have off from work and could make it into a long travel weekend. Thing is, not many people I know outside of the Northeast or the banking industry actually have off for CD. I don't even have off for CD. Nor did I 3 years ago on our first date when he had off the next day and I had to go to work all starry eyed from the night before. We were also considering having a Sunday wedding to save $$$, so that weekend made more sense to us. We're not doing Sunday, however, our place was the same price for Sunday as Saturday....

Now my fear is that everything in NYC will be more expensive because it is CD, including flights, hotels, etc. I wonder if other people think about this when they are picking their holiday weekend wedding dates. Seems to make things more complicated, doesn't it?

No comments: